Just a quick and basic explination on creating and editing page layouts in SharePoint 2010
Creating a page layout.
- In your SharePoint site click Site actions > Site settings > master page and page layout (under the Galleries heading)
- Click documents in the ribbon
- Select the new document icon and then select page layout. Fill in the relevant details and press ok
- Go to the Master Page galerie and you can assign it a content type by editing the properties
- Once editied check it in and publish the file in the master page gallery as it won’t be visible in the page layout drop down when you go to select it
- Make sure the page layout is added to the Page Layout and Site Template Settings page as this will allow you to change the page layout if it isn’t set to “Pages in this site can use any layout”
Changing the page layout
- Once on the page you want to use your new layout
- Site actions > Edit Page
- Select the page tab in the ribbon
- Click the page layout tag and select the page layout.
- Click save and close and your new page layout will be displayed
- Now you can open,edit and style it in SharePoint designer.
Adding web part zones to your page layout in SharePoint designer.
- Open your page layout in SharePoint designer
- If the code is highlighted in orange this prevents you from editing the code. To activate editing select the advanced mode in the ribbon.
Place the cursor on the area your intending to add the zone to( make sure the page is saved otherwise the option to add web zones will be grayed out.)
Select the insert tab in the ribbon
- Click the web part zone tab and this will add the zone to the page
· Click save and close and your new page layout will be displayed.